BPI Adapts BA Certification Upgrade Criteria
Malta, NY, January 17, 2014 - BPI's standards and credentials work for the industry and its customers because of the constant collaboration between BPI and practitioners in the field. In response to industry feedback regarding our Building Analyst (BA) certification upgrade announcement of last November, BPI is adapting criteria requirements, allowing BA professionals more time and flexibility to upgrade their certification.
Last November 13th, BPI announced we would update the BA certification exams and fast track renewal criteria on February 1st to verify that Building Analysts have command of the latest best practices in whole house energy audits. New topics covered include the principles of using computer software to model the energy upgrade potential of a home, and developing a scope of work for customers. Existing topics updated in the written and field exams include assessing whole-building ventilation, measuring airflow, combustion safety and testing/data collection.
The new requirements announced today include:
Certification Renewal Extension
All eligible Building Analysts whose certifications expired on or after November 13th, 2013 will have until April 13, 2014 to apply for BA certification renewal - BA only. (If written or field exams are required for renewal, they must be taken between 2/1/14 and 4/13/2014.) After April 13th, all individuals who wish to renew must do so before their certification expires. You do not need to update your certification until it is up for renewal.
Fast Track Renewal Criteria
All renewal candidates seeking to waive the BA written exam must earn 30 CEUs over a 3-year certification period. You may verify your software modeling and work scope development knowledge in one of two ways:
- Earn CEUs -Earn six of your 30 CEUs by attending training specific to software modeling and work scope development. This six CEU policy is a one-time requirement for renewal candidates in this category; OR
- Prove experience - Provide a signed letter on company letterhead from current and/or past employers documenting work experience in software modeling/work scope development. For the applicant's convenience, a standard template letter is included with the Application for BPI Certification Renewal.
BPI is making these changes to allow BA professionals more time to acquire software modeling and work scope development training or work experience, and to give training organizations time to develop curricula, classes, webinars and other modules on the same.
For complete information on the BA upgrade click here. To waive written or field exams, renewal candidates must complete an Application for BPI Certification Renewal. See BPI's Certification Renewal Policy for more information. Note: Trainers should review BPI's Certification Renewal Policy and proctors should review the Certification Renewal Policy for Proctors (in their portals) to see renewal criteria specific to them.
About the Building Performance Institute
BPI is the nation's premier building performance credentialing, quality assurance and standards setting organization. BPI develops technical standards using an open, transparent, consensus-based process built on sound building science. BPI is approved by the American National Standards Institute, Inc. (ANSI) as an accredited developer of American National Standards and as a certifying body for personnel credentials.
BPI offers the following:
- National standards to ensure top quality, consistent protocols are being followed throughout the home performance and weatherization workforce
- Certification of individuals in residential energy auditing and analysis, energy upgrade installation, crew leader, quality control inspection and multi-family designations
- Accreditation of contracting companies committed to delivering quality home performance improvements
- Quality assurance to verify conformance with BPI standards and provide feedback for continuing improvement
- Partnership with testing organizations that deliver BPI services in their market
For more information on BPI, visit www.bpi.org.
Building Performance Institute, Inc.
107 Hermes Road, Suite 110
Malta, NY 12020
Phone: (877) 274-1274
Fax: (866) 777-1274www.bpi.org