Change in Prerequisites for Retrofit Installer and Crew Leader Certifications
Deadline Extended for Retrofit Installer and Crew Leader Pilot Exam Applications
Malta, NY, December 20, 2012 -The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), and Building Performance Institute, Inc. (BPI) have updated prerequisite high school diploma/GED requirements for two of its worker certifications (Retrofit Installer/Technician and Crew Leader) within the Home Energy Professional Certification program.
The accepted equivalents for a high school diploma/GED have been updated based on direct industry feedback. This change better accounts for the diversity of education and practical experience currently found in the weatherization and home energy professional workforce.
The Retrofit Installer/Technician and Crew Leader certifications now accept a state career readiness certificate (with a minimum score of three in each work key) or proof of mastery in the job category. State career readiness certificates can be obtained through workforce centers and state labor offices. Job category mastery can be proven as follows:
- Retrofit Installer/Technician: Mastery is proven by accruing 50 points in the following categories: industry-specific work experience, general building work experience, training, and additional certifications. (Just 35 points are needed if the candidate satisfies the high school diploma/GED/foreign equivalent/career readiness certificate requirements.) Because the maximum allowable points for training and additional certifications are lower, the only way a candidate can get to 50 points is through additional industry-specific work experience.
- Crew Leader: Mastery is proven by 1,000 additional work hours in a home energy program funded by a state, utility, or other agency with specific compliance standards. A letter must be provided by the program employer verifying the use of compliance standards and the candidate's competency on the job.
Additional information, including full prerequisites for all four Home Energy Professional Certifications, is available on the BPI website at www.bpi.org/pilot.
The deadline to apply for the Retrofit Installer and Crew Leader certification exams in the pilot Home Energy Professional certification program has been extended. The final deadlines to submit your pilot applications are:
- Retrofit Installer - Monday, January 14, 2012 at midnight EST
- Crew Leader- Monday, January 14, 2012 at midnight EST
- Energy Auditor and Quality Control Inspector application periods are closed
All approved applicants must take their exams by February 16, 2013. If your application has been approved, schedule your exam as soon as possible with a participating BPI Test Center.
All applications for Retrofit Installer and Crew Leader exams received after January 14th will be held and processed for inclusion in the certification exams' national rollout in 2013.
BPI and NREL will close the pilot period for Retrofit Installer and Crew Leader exams because enough applications will have been received to commence a cut score study of exam results. The cut score study will determine pass/fail rates for the national rollout. The overall purpose of the pilot is to evaluate the adequacy of these exams in verifying the knowledge, skills and abilities of experienced practitioners in the field, across geographic and demographic strata, before rolling the exams out nationally in 2013.
For WAP Personnel Only:
There are a limited number of DOE-subsidized free exams for Retrofit Installer and Crew Leader left. You are encouraged to submit your application as soon as possible. Once your application is approved, take the exam as soon as possible. Free exams for weatherization workers are awarded on a first-come-first-served basis. BPI will make every effort to accommodate all qualified applicants, but an approved application does not guarantee that free exams will be available. To stay current on the status of free exams, please check the 'Free Exams' chart on the BPI pilot website at www.bpi.org/pilot or call BPI at 877-274-1274.
About the Home Energy Professional Certifications
The Home Energy Professional Certifications are designed for experienced home performance professionals, and focus on the most important jobs in the home energy upgrade industry: energy auditor, retrofit installer, crew leader and quality control inspector. These advanced credentials are administered by BPI, developed by NREL, and funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. To take the exams, all candidates must fill out an application and meet work experience prerequisite criteria. Go to www.bpi.org/pilot to find application forms, one page prerequisite criteria and other information.
About the Building Performance Institute
BPI is the nation's premier building performance credentialing, quality assurance and standards setting organization. BPI develops technical standards using an open, transparent, consensus-based process built on sound building science. BPI is approved by the American National Standards Institute, Inc. (ANSI) as an accredited developer of American National Standards and as a certifying body for personnel credentials.
BPI offers the following:
- National standards to ensure top quality, consistent protocols are being followed throughout the home performance and weatherization workforce
- Certification of individuals in building analyst, heating, AC/heat pump, shell/envelope and multi-family designations
- Accreditation of contracting companies committed to delivering quality home performance improvements
- Quality assurance to verify conformance with BPI standards and provide feedback for continuing improvement
- Partnership with testing organizations that deliver BPI services in their market
For more information on BPI, visit www.bpi.org.