Deliver the tests that builders need to meet IECC codes for air infiltration and duct leakage.
Earning the IDL certification is a simple, comprehensive and affordable way for technicians of builders, remodelers, HVAC and insulation contractors to gain skills needed to offer duct leakage and blower door tests, in compliance with IECC codes for new home construction or existing home remodels.
Passing the exam (field exam only) verifies you can conduct duct leakage tests to the ASTM E1554-07 standard and blower door tests to the ASTM E779 standard. Begin with this affordable, single measure credential and work your way up to BPI's "house-as-a-system" certifications using real-time field experience.
Contact any BPI Test Center for the hands-on training you may need to prepare for BPI’s IDL field exam.
Steps to Becoming Certified:
- Review the Infiltration & Duct Leakage (IDL) Certification Scheme Handbook.
- Determine if training is required prior to attempting certification.
While BPI does not require training prior to attempting certification, candidates can find training from Independent Training Organizations using our Training Organizations Locator Tool. BPI does not directly perform any training services and it is not a requirement to use training organizations; however individuals completing training typically perform better on BPI exams.
- Price: BPI’s recommended list price is $200 for this hands-on only IDL exam. However BPI Test Centers set their own prices for exams and often bundle the exam price together with training fees.
- Schedule your exam(s) directly with BPI or a BPI Test Center in your area.
- Take the exam and receive a score of 85% or greater.
- Receive your certification.
- Recertify every three years. See the IDL Certification Scheme Handbook for more information.