BPI’s Building Analyst (BA) and Envelope Professional (EP) certifications have been a staple in the industry for over 20 years. In 2020, we convened a Scheme Committee comprised of Subject Matter Experts to evaluate them against the current state of industry.
Three major changes resulted from the recommendations by the Scheme Committee:
1. The Building Analyst certification has absorbed the Envelope Professional and been divided into two work-ready credentials, Building Analyst Technician (BA-T) and Building Analyst Professional (BA-P).
2. The BA-T covers data collection and diagnostic testing. It is awarded by passing a field exam that includes oral questions. The BPI Building Science Principles certificate (BSP) is a prerequisite for the BA-T.
3. The BA-P covers the principles of using computer software to model the energy upgrade potential of a home and developing a scope of work. The BA-P is awarded by passing a written exam. The BA-T is a prerequisite for the BA-P and must be maintained concurrently.
The existing Building Analyst and Envelope exams will be available for new and renewing candidates until May 31st, 2023. Therefore, any attempts for certification or renewal must be completed by May 31, 2023.
By getting certified as a BPI Envelope Professional, you prove that you have the skills to optimize and verify the installation, operation, maintenance, and performance of building envelope systems, and are able to improve their interaction with other building systems.
As an Envelope Professional, you will be knowledgeable enough to prescribe improvements to tighten the building envelope (shell), stop uncontrolled air leakage, and optimize comfort, durability, and HVAC performance.
Certification Scheme Handbook
Please read the Core Certification Scheme Handbook prior to taking your certification exams.
Steps to Get Envelope Certified
- Read the Certification Scheme Handbook, Field Guide, and Testing Knowledge List for the Envelope Professional certification.
- Training (optional): BPI does not require training and is not affiliated with any training centers. However, individuals that complete training typically perform better on BPI exams. Most BPI Test Centers offer training.
- Schedule your exams with a BPI Test Center in your area.
- Take your Envelope Professional exams (online and field).
- Test Scores: After taking the online exam at the BPI Test Center, you will see your exam score on the screen. For the field exam, you should see your results in your candidate account within 2-4 weeks.
- Certification: If successful, you will receive your certification in the mail.
Please review the Field Guide for the Envelope Professional certification.
Exam and Testing Knowledge List
Please read the Envelope Professional Testing Knowledge List for information on subjects covered on the exam.
Standards of reference for the Envelope Professional certification exams include: ANSI/BPI-1200-S-2017 Standard Practice for Basic Analysis of Buildings and Technical Standards for the Envelope Professional.
Candidates must successfully challenge both an online and field exam to become Envelope Professional certified.
Online exam: 100 multiple choice questions*
Time limit: 2 hours
Passing score: 70% or higher
Field exam: Hands-on field portion
Time limit: 2 hours
Passing score (field total): 70% or higher
For Combustion Appliance Zone (CAZ) and Carbon Monoxide (CO) Sections: 85% or higher
Processing time for exam results: 2-4 weeks
Exam prices are set by BPI Test Centers. Please contact them for pricing.
BPI Envelope Professionals must recertify every three (3) years.
If you have accumulated and submitted at least 30 qualifying BPI Continuing Education Units (CEUs) over the course of your current certification cycle, you may bypass the online exam when it comes time to recertify. Likewise, if you have at least 3,000 hours of verified work experience during your current certification cycle, you may also bypass the field exam.
Please review the Certification Renewal Policies for more information. Fill out the Application for Certification Renewal once you determine that you are eligible for recertification.
*The number of online exam questions depends on your active certification status. Please see the Certification Scheme Handbook for more information.