Quality Control Inspector
The Home Energy Professional (HEP) Quality Control Inspector certification is offered by BPI and is supported by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and its National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL).
By earning the HEP Quality Control Inspector certification, you prove that you can verify the compliance of retrofit work performed based on work plans and standards, conduct audits and inspections using diagnostic equipment, and can develop reports that specify corrective actions to achieve whole house performance.
Steps to Get QCI Certified
- Prerequisites required: Candidates must meet certain certification prerequisites prior to taking the online certification exam. Please review the Prerequisites document for the Quality Control Inspector certification.
- Read the Certification Scheme Handbook for the Quality Control Inspector certification.
- Training (optional): BPI does not require training and is not affiliated with any training centers. However, individuals who complete training typically perform better on BPI exams. Most BPI Test Centers offer training.
- Take your Quality Control Inspector exam (online only). Find a BPI Test Center to schedule your online exam.
- Test Scores: You can log in to your candidate account to see your scores. Online scores are available immediately following completion of the exam.
- Certification: If successful, your certification will be available for print or download in your candidate account.
Candidates must be Energy Auditor certified and successfully challenge the QCI online exam to become Quality Control Inspector certified.
Online exam: 50 multiple choice questions
Time limit: 2.5 hours
Passing score: 70%
Exam prices are set by BPI Test Centers. Please contact them for pricing.
BPI Quality Control Inspectors must recertify every three (3) years.
If you have an active Energy Auditor certification and have accumulated and submitted at least six (6) relevant BPI Continuing Education Units (CEUs) over the course of the time you were certified, you may bypass the online exam when it comes time to recertify. Once you are QCI recertified, you are automatically agreeing to BPI’s Code of Ethics.
Please refer to the recertification section in the Certification Scheme Handbook for more information.