Multifamily Building Operator
The BPI Multifamily Building Operator certification helps building operators, property managers, and other building professionals demonstrate their understanding of multifamily building science operations and maintenance. These professionals examine the relationship between the building’s various systems and gauge their effect on occupant health, safety, and comfort as well as on the building’s energy efficiency and durability.
The Multifamily Building Operator uses building science principles to apply operations and maintenance strategies to improve those factors and save money for the building owners and occupants.
Certification Scheme Handbook
Please read the Multifamily Professional Certification Scheme Handbook prior to taking your certification exams.
Steps to Get Multifamily Building Operator Certified
- Read the Certification Scheme Handbook and Testing Knowledge List for the Multifamily Building Operator certification.
- Training (optional): BPI does not require training and is not affiliated with any training centers. However, individuals that complete training typically perform better on BPI exams. Most BPI Test Centers offer training.
- Schedule your exams with a BPI Test Center in your area.
- Take your Multifamily Building Operator exams (online and field).
- Test Scores: After taking the online exam at the BPI Test Center, you will see your exam score on the screen. You can also log in to your candidate account to see your score.
- Certification: If successful, your certification will be available for print or download in your candidate account.
Candidates must successfully complete both a 75-question online exam and field exam within one (1) year to become Multifamily Building Operator certified.
Online exam: 75 multiple-choice questions
Time limit: 2 hours
Passing Score: 65% or higher
Field exam: Hands-on field portion
Time limit: 2 hours
Processing time for exam results: 2-4 weeks
Please read the Multifamily Building Operator Testing Knowledge List for information on subjects covered on the exam.
Standards of reference for the Multifamily Building Operator certification exams include: Technical Standards for the Multifamily Energy Efficient Building Operator.
Exam prices are set by BPI Test Centers. Please contact them for pricing.
BPI Multifamily Building Operators must recertify every three (3) years.
If you have accumulated and submitted at least 30 BPI Continuing Education Units (CEUs) over the course of the time you were certified, you may bypass the 75-question online exam when it comes time to recertify.