Infiltration and Duct Leakage
Earning the Infiltration and Duct Leakage (IDL) certification is a simple, comprehensive, and affordable way for builders, remodelers, HVAC, insulation, and other contractors to gain the skills needed to offer duct leakage and blower door tests, in compliance with IECC codes for new home construction or existing home remodels.
By earning the IDL certification, you prove that you can conduct duct leakage tests to the ASTM E1554-07 standard and blower door tests to the ASTM E779 standard.
Certification Scheme Handbook
Please read the Infiltration and Duct Leakage (IDL) Certification Scheme Handbook prior to taking your certification exam.
Steps to Get IDL Certified
- Read the Certification Scheme Handbook and Field Guide for the Infiltration and Duct Leakage (IDL) certification.
- Training (optional): BPI does not require training and is not affiliated with any training centers. However, individuals that complete training typically perform better on BPI exams. Most BPI Test Centers offer training.
- Schedule your exams with a BPI Test Center in your area.
- Take your IDL exam (field).
- Certification: If successful, your certification will be available for print or download in your candidate account.
Please review the Field Guide for the Infiltration and Duct Leakage (IDL) certification.
Candidates must take a field exam to become Infiltration and Duct Leakage certified.
Field exam: Hands-on field portion
Time limit: 1 ½ hours
Passing score: 85% or higher
Processing time for exam results: 2-4 weeks
Exam prices are set by BPI Test Centers. Please contact them for pricing.
BPI Infiltration and Duct Leakage (IDL) professionals must recertify every three (3) years.
Candidates that meet specific work experience criteria after becoming certified may be able to bypass the field exam.