BPI works to advance the building performance industry by developing industry standards that foster quality and consistency throughout the nation’s home performance and weatherization workforce.
BPI then creates certifications based on these standards. All BPI exams are based on a mixture of industry practices, axiomatic concepts, and major standards of references. No singular source exists that could touch upon every aspect of what is considered testable. Test questions can be on standards but the whole exam is not based on the suggested standards.
Click on a tab below to view and download the approved BPI Technical Standards.
Current BPI Standards
- ANSI/BPI-1100-T-2014 Home Energy Auditing Standard (December, 2014)
- ANSI/BPI-1200-S-2017 Standard Practice for Basic Analysis of Buildings (September, 2017)
- Interpretations to ANSI-BPI-1200-S-2015 and 2017, Section 7 (August, 2018)
- Technical Standards for the Envelope Professional (August, 2010)
- Technical Standards for the Heating Professional (November, 2007)
- Technical Standards for the Air Conditioning and Heat Pump Professional (February, 2003)
- HVAC Guidelines
- Technical Standards for the Manufactured Housing Professional (May, 2003)
- Interpretation to BPI Technical Standards for the Manufactured Housing Professional
- Technical Standards for the Multifamily Building Analyst Professional (February, 2008)
- Technical Standards for the Multifamily Energy Efficient Building Operator (June, 2005)
- BPI-2100-S-2013 Standard for Home Performance-Related Data Transfer (August, 2018)
- BPI-2101-S-2013: Standard Requirements for a Certificate of Completion for Residential Energy Efficiency Upgrades (September, 2013)
- Interpretation re HPXML Window Area Data Element (June, 2015)
- BPI-2200-S-2013 Standard for Home Performance-Related Data Collection (August, 2018)
- BPI-2400-S-2015 Standard Practice for Standardized Qualification of Whole-House Energy Savings Predictions by Calibration to Energy Use History (December, 2015)
Standards of Reference for BPI Certifications
For standards of reference other than BPI please see Page 19 or the EA Scheme Handbook
For standards of reference other than BPI please see Page 8 or the QCI Scheme Handbook